So how are you going to leverage LinkedIn to position yourself as the person that people need to know for your particular competence and expertise?
We used to say it’s “not what you know, but who you know”. These days the emphasis is becoming more and more about who knows you.
Are you on LinkedIn and struggling to grasp how to use it to help you:
- position yourself as an expert that people need to know?
- land the ideal job that you have been after for months?
- build a business that attracts your ideal customers?
- It may just be that like many people, you see it as a social media platform that is an endless waste of your time, or a place that should merely be a repository for your CV.
LinkedIn has become one of my favourite social media platforms, and an important component of my business strategy. But it was only after I started to understand its purpose a few years ago, that I really started to use it constructively.
So what is its purpose you ask?
From my perspective, LinkedIn is the equivalent of a 24/7/365 online conference where you can establish your presence through your profile (the equivalent of an exhibition stand)
through your engagement (the equivalent of chatting during coffee breaks) and
through your content (the equivalent of being the keynote speaker at the conference)
This critical shift in my mindset around what LinkedIn actually is, was all that it took to pivot LinkedIn from being a repository for my CV, to a platform for:
- building professional relationships,
- repositioning myself after changing careers,
- engaging in conversations and thought leadership,
- building a global network, and
- serving others by sharing knowledge (my own and curated content from others).
Today I have a successful coaching practice, am a sought after panellist and the Mentoring Lead for Women in Mining South Africa and I attribute a large part of that to having consistently shown up on LinkedIn and leveraged it to position myself for my expertise.
What Will You Learn?
- Establish your professional brand
- Complete your profile with the customer in mind. Become a thought-leader by publishing meaningful posts.
- Engage with insights
- Discover and share conversation-worthy updates to create and grow relationships.
- Build relationships
- Strengthen your network by finding and establishing trust with decision-makers.
- Find the right people
- Identify better prospects in less time using efficient search and research tools.
Leverage LinkedIn with Briony Liber
LinkedIn as a 24/7/365 online conference
Imagine yourself at a conference03:10
Your profile is your stand01:15
Your engagement is your networking01:14
Your content is your keynote address01:31
Let’s wrap it up01:40
Define your focus
Define your objectives04:12
Define your Audience01:00
Define the topics you want to be known for02:54
Let’s wrap it up01:16
Build and engage with your network
Where to start building your network04:14
Maintaining your network04:21
Curating content to engage your network03:04
How to tell your network what you doing.04:44
Create your content strategy
Setting up your content strategy02:47
Ways to publish content02:07
Types of content you can use04:36